– Amnion Cell Biology
– Cell Therapy and Regenerative Medicine
– Embryology and Placental Biology
– Epidemiology and Clinical Trials
– Endometrial Stem Cells
– Fetal and Neonatal Health
– Infant and Child Health
– Interventional Immunology in Neonatal Diseases
– Lung Development
– Maternal and Perinatal Medicine
– Neurodevelopment and Neuroprotection
– Perinatal Inflammation
– Perinatal Transition
– Respiratory Control
Research > The Ritchie Centre > Epidemiology and clinical trials
Epidemiology and Clinical Trials
Research Group Head: Professor Euan Wallace
Informed by the outcomes observed in the maternity services at Monash Health, our Group provides research expertise and capability to Monash Health and the State of Victoria via the Consultative Council for Obstetric and Paediatric Mortality and Morbidity. Our group is also an integral part of the Monash University, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. Our unique co-location within the Hospital and Hudson Institute affords us the opportunity to undertake our own research and to support both scientists and clinicians in the translation of research findings from the laboratory bench to apply them at the hospital bedside.
We utilise epidemiological design principles, biostatistics and clinical trial expertise to improve the health of pregnant women and their babies/children. Current research areas include:
- Ethnic differences in maternal and perinatal outcomes
- Reducing perinatal mortality and morbidity in Victoria
- Assessing the impacts of interventions and procedures related to pregnancy and labour care.
- Randomised Controlled Trials to assess the efficacy of interventions in pregnancy and birth.
In addition we offer study design, human ethics advice and statistical support to Monash Health staff and the wider Ritchie Centre. Through collaborations with other Hudson researchers we are also able to combine biological samples with epidemiological data.
Professor Christine East – School of Nursing & Midwifery, Monash University
Professor Marian Knight – Director, National Perinatal Epidemiology Unit, University of Oxford, UK
Professor Jeremy Oats – Chair, Victorian Consultative Council on Obstetric & Paediatric Mortality & Morbidity, Department of Health
Professor Peter Ebeling, AO- Head of the Department of Medicine in the School of Clinical Sciences at Monash Health, Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences.